Find Christmas Support

Yes, we are still accepting applications! We know the holiday season can be a stressful time of year. When you reach out for support, we're here to help. Everyone needs support sometimes and we want the experience to be as stress-free as possible. Last year, in HRM alone, almost 7,000 households reached out for a little extra help.

How we help

Across Nova Scotia, our member agencies are working hard to provide food over the holiday season. In HRM we operate a Christmas Registry that matches requests for support with food and gift resources in the community.

What kind of support is available?

Both food and gift support is available.

The Christmas Registry is supported by over 50 community organizations. Each group decides what support they'll provide, in which geographical area, to what family types, and to what ages. Typically applicants have the choice of a Christmas food hamper (turkey or chicken and vegetables or vegetarian option) OR a prepared dinner.  

Gift support is only available to children under the age of 17 as of December 24, 2018.

Due to the high number of applications, support is not guaranteed. It is allocated based on the availability of community resources. 

How to get help if you live outside of Halifax Regional Municipality

If you don’t live in HRM, and you have questions about finding support in your area, please call 211, or contact your local food bank. Find their details using our Find Food tool. You can also email and we will connect you with support in your area. Deadlines to apply vary across Nova Scotia.

How to get help if you live in Halifax Regional Municipality

If you live in HRM, we are still accepting applications. There are a number of ways to apply for support in HRM:

To apply if you are receiving income assistance:
If you received income assistance in September 2018, the Department of Community Services mailed you a white Christmas application form a few weeks ago. Fill out this form and mail it to the address on the application as soon as possible. If you didn't receive a form or you lost your form, contact your caseworker.

You do not have to be on income assistance to qualify for support.

To apply if you are not receiving income assistance:
You can apply for support in person at any Salvation Army in HRM, or at Parker Street. They will ask you to fill out an application form. Bring ID for you and everyone living in your household. The deadline to apply through a Salvation Army is December 7, 2018. The deadline to apply through Parker Street is December 13, 2018. To ask about availability through Salvation Army and Parker Street, please contact them directly.

How will I know if I'm being supported?

  • If you applied at a Salvation Army or at Parker Street they will let you know where and when to pick up your support.
  • If you applied though a food bank or Department of Community Services, someone will call you by December 8 to let you know where and when to pick up your support.

If you are unable to apply through the ways listed above because of additional barriers, please email us at or call 902-457-2849 to talk about options.

We do not accept applications over the phone.

How to make a change to an existing application?

If you have a change of address or need to make a change to your family information after you've already submitted your form, email your changes to or call 902-457-2849.